Skip to main content

A New Chapter and a Few Thoughts

I’ve been meaning to blog again for a good while now, but it is only as I sit on a train home on a grey Sunday morning watching some massive wind turbines (there’s something strangely satisfying about watching them go around), that I am at my most wistful and self-reflective in terms of my own mental state.

I really should change the name of this blog as there’s very little politics involved in my own rather erratic mental state, but there we go - I'd rather write about something I’m interested in than just for the sake of it. Yes there have been many on this particular topic, but I feel as if some of the best and most moving pieces of writing come from the bottom of the heart.

Writing these gives me a purpose. It’s like a release from the wider world, allows me to perhaps open up about my feelings without being a burden and my perennial fear of annoying people. And that feels amazing.

It’s been a hectic few weeks, moving to a new city for university (Sheffield), making new friends, and drinking an unhealthy amount of alcohol. Though the latter is undoubtedly a cause of my reflective mood, the first two have been better than I could ever have imagined.

It almost feels as if I’ve started a new life. Disassociating myself with every small detail of home (as much as I love it) has completely erased the haunting memories of 2018 so far.

That leaves me a bit conflicted mind. I am a very homely person - I frequently used to get homesick when we went on family holidays for more than 10 days! I wonder what was wrong about the surroundings that I’d lived in for my whole life, which forced me to fall down a never ending hole. I probably won’t ever know.

I’m also learning now that I simply just have to put myself first. Yes that sounds a tad selfish but it has been so easy all year for me to belittle my own problems in the face of others’ and try to push them to the back of my mind as a result.

None of that means I can’t still try care for others, because everyone needs that support mechanism, I certainly do even now. But we live in a society today in which the principal aim is personal gain, that’s just a brute fact in my eyes. Consequently, looking after my own mental state especially after illness bears so much more importance than it ever has before, perhaps a radical change of perspective, it undoubtedly feels it.

Another thing I want to briefly touch on is antidepressants. There’s a horrendous stigma surrounding them, which in some ways I can understand. Why would you want to put your loved ones on a strong chemical that could become necessary and possible addictive for a long time?

Granted different people have different experiences of them but when applied right, they’re a life-saver. It might sound over dramatic but they’re probably the main reason I’m here writing this today.

If you had a cure for a physical disease that needed to be applied over a long period of time, you’d be so much more inclined to allow the drug to be prescribed. Why are antidepressants different? Our mental is just as, if not more important, than our physical health yet I highly doubt someone would look down on a pill that cured cancer in the same way a lot view antidepressants. Naturally I would have a strong stance on it but it just embodies the stigma to me - and that’s not right.

These are just a bunch of general thoughts really, and they’re either gonna come out looking incredibly disjointed, or the natural, honest flow of it will shine through. I sincerely hope it’s the latter, because it’s helped me release a lot of bad emotions even now.

Distinguish the good emotions from the debilitating ones, and flush that absolute monster that still ever lingers, out my mind. When I can do that will be when I know I’m fully myself again. And I can’t wait. :)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As Western governments wilfully ignore events in Palestine, they have lost the trust of their own people - and crucially, the Global South

It does not take a genius to spot the obvious contradictions in geopolitical narratives of Western governments and media evident over the past few decades. The US' post-9/11 botched "war on terror", that created a generation of instability in the Middle East, has served as the driver for European countries to lament the subsequent influx of migrants and legitimise the xenophobic desires of far-right parties. More recently, the same states have rightfully isolated Russia for their invasion of Ukraine - despite the similarity to their atrocities after 2001. Yet in the past three months, they have managed to brazenly exhibit their hypocrisy to an extent that I, and evidently many others, find astounding. And any long-time readers will know I've been more than happy to highlight duplicity of Western countries on this blog, so that should tell you something about how bizarre recent events feel. Source: UNRWA, via The Wire In response to the militant group Hamas' terror

We must better consider all the people caught up in modern-day warfare

In some ways, this blog comes full circle to the very second post I wrote on  here circa six years ago .  That time, in the aftermath of the 2017 Las Vegas shooting, the blog focused on how names and stories appeal to our emotion more than facts and figures. Boy can I see the difference in writing style - 17 year old Kabir bizarrely quoted Stalin in making the point.  What I grappled with, and have done for a while since, is the unnatural and paradoxically natural emotional response to scales of tragedy. Hundreds of thousands dying is harder to comprehend than ten that are accompanied by names and faces. Yet more people dying is obviously worse globally. Ironically, I forgot the shooting’s details, which in itself encapsulates the point.  These limits of human empathy are (at least to me) fascinating, but they pose some problems in the globalised, interconnected world we now live in. In a world where our media consumption plays such a key role in how we perceive and interpret l

Light at the End of the Tunnel

It is never a bad thing to ask for help, contrary to what the mind, or even society, might say. Unfortunately for me, whilst sat there in floods of tears at my kitchen table, the whole tissue box I had emptied littered on the floor, I didn’t realise it. It was a Wednesday evening in late January, I had just gone through a day of school feeling perfectly content – bar the worries many teenagers find themselves under. I recall feeling focused in the three lessons I had that day, and playing football in the afternoon, I imagined, would only help my mood. After all, they do say exercise helps balance the chemicals in your brain. But I got home, sat down and genuinely considered suicide. What possibly is there left here for me? How is it ever going to feel like life is worth living? The weeks of building anxiety and depression had taken their toll. School stress, A-levels closing in. Social stress (ever-increasing in an age where social media has become habitual). Coupled with en