Skip to main content

A State of Calm - how we are ignorantly becoming more divisive

Sunday 14th July 2019 was billed as a sporting blockbuster, destined to go down in the history books of British sport. Lewis Hamilton the favourite to win his home grand prix. Two all-time greats of tennis contesting the final on the greens of Wimbledon. And just a few miles down the road, England taking on New Zealand in the Cricket World Cup final. It was made to be spectacular.

Yet you'd have scoffed at even the most convincing of psychics if they'd told you what would unfold in the eight hours subsequent to Chris Woakes' first ball at Lord's. 

I need not explain. For an avid lover of two of those sports, tennis and cricket - and a previous childhood fascination with F1 too - the day was an emotional rollercoaster for me. Supporting the defeated Roger Federer in a topsy-turvy Wimbledon final, and all the whilst supporting England, victorious by the skin of their teeth. 

One success of that magnitude was more than satisfying. But the tension drained my emotions, both positive and negative. And it has left me with a placid satisfaction at everything that I see right now.  

Even now, two days later, I have everything I could ask for. No more nagging desires, no burning satisfactions, no more small frustrations at social media or people. Complete serenity. 

I'm not stupid enough to know that this is temporary (for how long, I have no clue), but the aforementioned state of mind has made me realise a lot when it comes to division I feel is so prevalent in society. And given previous erratic writings, an emotionless one will be interesting for me to analyse a while down the line. 

Especially with the rise of social media, and political freedom nowadays, the way people have attempted to push their views on others has become more and more dramatic throughout the last few years. There seems to be more divisiveness than ever, even in an age of increasing acceptance of all races, genders and sexualities. 

You might point to particular individuals, groups or organisations - and that is fine, everyone carries some of the blame after all, many through no fault of their own - but in doing so, you miss the real, more inward-looking issue. 

I feel as though everyone acts as a result of a combination of both environment and experiences, which it could be argued are rather similar. Everything that we see as we grow up, as we get older and develop is stored subconsciously into shaping our moral, social and political views - and perhaps even more than that. 

Naturally, that characterises our emotion, making us all mentally unique. Those emotions, be it be anger or calmness, sadness or happiness, fulfilment or emptiness, are all a product of experiences. Without considering why any given person might be acting the way they are, without considering their emotion-shaping experiences, we get nowhere in understanding what we need to do to stop divisiveness. 

That is all abstract - but that is how we can become a more tolerant, respectful and kind society that takes into account people's opinions, upbringings and why they have those opinions. 

It is all well and good suggesting everyone's allowed an opinion and that's that, but I believe we have to learn to consider why someone may have one. Likewise, it's fine to challenge someone on a view, as long as you don't let emotion get in the way. 

My aforementioned calmness can be seen as emotion itself, but it's born out of a product of satisfaction of everything that I can control in my life. There are larger problems in the world, smaller problems for others and whilst I'll do all I can to solve those, it is useless chastising people for their inability to act, for their mistakes and for their views. 

All I can control, I can challenge with placidity, respect and understanding. For they are the peaceful emotions that stop division.

Writing with emotion, caused by certain experiences, is what I've based most of my blog on. Whether that be relief, frustration, sadness, irrationality, it has characterised my writings, which are dictated by a particular point I wish to bring to mind. It often blocks out my rational views.

Thinking with emotion, caused by certain experiences, is what we base most of our lives on. Whether that be relief, frustration, sadness, irrationality, it characterises our lives, which are dictated by a particular path we want to take.

Is each emotion blocking our rational decision making? That's something we need to ponder each time we make a decision or judgement. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As Western governments wilfully ignore events in Palestine, they have lost the trust of their own people - and crucially, the Global South

It does not take a genius to spot the obvious contradictions in geopolitical narratives of Western governments and media evident over the past few decades. The US' post-9/11 botched "war on terror", that created a generation of instability in the Middle East, has served as the driver for European countries to lament the subsequent influx of migrants and legitimise the xenophobic desires of far-right parties. More recently, the same states have rightfully isolated Russia for their invasion of Ukraine - despite the similarity to their atrocities after 2001. Yet in the past three months, they have managed to brazenly exhibit their hypocrisy to an extent that I, and evidently many others, find astounding. And any long-time readers will know I've been more than happy to highlight duplicity of Western countries on this blog, so that should tell you something about how bizarre recent events feel. Source: UNRWA, via The Wire In response to the militant group Hamas' terror

We must better consider all the people caught up in modern-day warfare

In some ways, this blog comes full circle to the very second post I wrote on  here circa six years ago .  That time, in the aftermath of the 2017 Las Vegas shooting, the blog focused on how names and stories appeal to our emotion more than facts and figures. Boy can I see the difference in writing style - 17 year old Kabir bizarrely quoted Stalin in making the point.  What I grappled with, and have done for a while since, is the unnatural and paradoxically natural emotional response to scales of tragedy. Hundreds of thousands dying is harder to comprehend than ten that are accompanied by names and faces. Yet more people dying is obviously worse globally. Ironically, I forgot the shooting’s details, which in itself encapsulates the point.  These limits of human empathy are (at least to me) fascinating, but they pose some problems in the globalised, interconnected world we now live in. In a world where our media consumption plays such a key role in how we perceive and interpret l

Light at the End of the Tunnel

It is never a bad thing to ask for help, contrary to what the mind, or even society, might say. Unfortunately for me, whilst sat there in floods of tears at my kitchen table, the whole tissue box I had emptied littered on the floor, I didn’t realise it. It was a Wednesday evening in late January, I had just gone through a day of school feeling perfectly content – bar the worries many teenagers find themselves under. I recall feeling focused in the three lessons I had that day, and playing football in the afternoon, I imagined, would only help my mood. After all, they do say exercise helps balance the chemicals in your brain. But I got home, sat down and genuinely considered suicide. What possibly is there left here for me? How is it ever going to feel like life is worth living? The weeks of building anxiety and depression had taken their toll. School stress, A-levels closing in. Social stress (ever-increasing in an age where social media has become habitual). Coupled with en