Skip to main content

A Significant Personal Milestone




It is not often you can mark down the single worst point in your life. Yet February and March 2018 were the lowest of my lows. Those months have shaped the person I am today more so than any others have and no matter how much I would or would not want to forget them, I'll never be able to.

Perhaps ironically, despite how significant they are, daily life back then is a complete an utter blur because of the nature of my broken mental health. All I remember is that most days I was at some point either bed-ridden, crying, or being unintentionally forced to be in an uncomfortable situation that I didn't want to be in.

Rather than extensively describing it myself now, it is easier to point myself towards the blog I wrote at the time. The blog that has made me so much more open about my mental health. That has helped me immeasurably. That was typed through a plethora of my erratic emotions at the time. Anger at small things, sadness at my own life, disillusionment with the world.

Though it wasn't the blog itself that made the biggest difference. It was the reaction to it that I'll always be so grateful for. It was comforting to know that the people closest to me ranging to the people I did not know particularly well wanted to offer support. When at a low as destructive as that one was, it helped to know I was not alone. I'll forever be grateful to everyone who reached out at the time.

Image result for depression recovery imagesI am not quite sure why it is this year that those months have hit me significantly. It could be the fact that last year I still needed to fully recover, slowly coming off the medication at the time and was not really ready to disassociate myself from it. There is an element of that I think for sure, but the bigger picture is probably my current mental state.

Everything feels the converse opposite to two years ago. Back then, even the good things were still marred with bad aspects. Now, the bad things are littered with good parts. My mindset has completely changed, with the irrationality of thoughts largely removed and the clarity and wider-looking emotions replacing them.

Without trying to sound enlightened or narcissistic, it's become clear to me now that the best way to tackle life is to understand why people act as they do. We struggle with this as humans because we are naturally living life from our own perspective and we relate everything back to us in a slightly self-centred way. Why did someone make me feel like that? How could they do that to me? Back in early 2018, those were the some of the thoughts that troubled me. I was always concerned with my place in an intricately complex and punishing world, rather than focusing on the smaller here and now.

That is an unhealthy way of looking at things. I don't blame myself, but even thought I still like to think on a large scale now, I pause for a moment to try and remember that it isn't just me. My view is always distorted and full of unconscious biases, just like everyone else. Without that knowledge, which I could attribute to CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), I don't think I would be as mentally stable as I am now.

Two years feels like a lot of time because I can still remember the feelings and the demons that will always remain. That is part and parcel of living with mental health problems, but if and when these problems return in the future, I'll be far more aware of them and more prepared to deal with them.

But at the same time, two whole years?! I couldn't even legally drink back then (my liver probably wants to go back in time). That was the back end of school, and perhaps will mar my memories of life at school. Now well through university, thinking of jobs and fields to go into - school seems like an age ago. It probably makes sense that in a time period of that length that I've been able to develop coping strategies and view events more placidly.

These past emotions have made me reflect on everything in the past couple of months and I've been slightly more distant as a result. It feels like a significant moment in my own life, even if it perhaps isn't, and the future I didn't know I had two years ago is exponentially more positive.

I used to care how people thought of me. I used to hide emotions through fear of alienating people. This blog has enabled me to express these clustered feelings into a tangible piece of writing, whilst medication and CBT has made me carefree of how others see me. After all, as I said before, everyone has subjective perspectives.

I'm not ready to forget those years, I never will forget them. But I am finally ready to disassociate myself with them. It all started with speaking out, the toughest but most rewarding thing I've ever done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As Western governments wilfully ignore events in Palestine, they have lost the trust of their own people - and crucially, the Global South

It does not take a genius to spot the obvious contradictions in geopolitical narratives of Western governments and media evident over the past few decades. The US' post-9/11 botched "war on terror", that created a generation of instability in the Middle East, has served as the driver for European countries to lament the subsequent influx of migrants and legitimise the xenophobic desires of far-right parties. More recently, the same states have rightfully isolated Russia for their invasion of Ukraine - despite the similarity to their atrocities after 2001. Yet in the past three months, they have managed to brazenly exhibit their hypocrisy to an extent that I, and evidently many others, find astounding. And any long-time readers will know I've been more than happy to highlight duplicity of Western countries on this blog, so that should tell you something about how bizarre recent events feel. Source: UNRWA, via The Wire In response to the militant group Hamas' terror

We must better consider all the people caught up in modern-day warfare

In some ways, this blog comes full circle to the very second post I wrote on  here circa six years ago .  That time, in the aftermath of the 2017 Las Vegas shooting, the blog focused on how names and stories appeal to our emotion more than facts and figures. Boy can I see the difference in writing style - 17 year old Kabir bizarrely quoted Stalin in making the point.  What I grappled with, and have done for a while since, is the unnatural and paradoxically natural emotional response to scales of tragedy. Hundreds of thousands dying is harder to comprehend than ten that are accompanied by names and faces. Yet more people dying is obviously worse globally. Ironically, I forgot the shooting’s details, which in itself encapsulates the point.  These limits of human empathy are (at least to me) fascinating, but they pose some problems in the globalised, interconnected world we now live in. In a world where our media consumption plays such a key role in how we perceive and interpret l

Light at the End of the Tunnel

It is never a bad thing to ask for help, contrary to what the mind, or even society, might say. Unfortunately for me, whilst sat there in floods of tears at my kitchen table, the whole tissue box I had emptied littered on the floor, I didn’t realise it. It was a Wednesday evening in late January, I had just gone through a day of school feeling perfectly content – bar the worries many teenagers find themselves under. I recall feeling focused in the three lessons I had that day, and playing football in the afternoon, I imagined, would only help my mood. After all, they do say exercise helps balance the chemicals in your brain. But I got home, sat down and genuinely considered suicide. What possibly is there left here for me? How is it ever going to feel like life is worth living? The weeks of building anxiety and depression had taken their toll. School stress, A-levels closing in. Social stress (ever-increasing in an age where social media has become habitual). Coupled with en