Skip to main content

The Lack of Power in Human Life

With the emergence of COVID-19, we are living in completely unprecedented times. Times that inevitably will cause much anguish, instability and discontent throughout the world on a larger scale than any pandemic since the Spanish Flu following the First World War.

I am, in some ways, lost for words as I sit on the train home trying to write this, trying to expel some of the anxiety that has engulfed me for the last few weeks. The station and train itself tell the whole story. It is completely empty.
For a world where we have become accustomed to constant overcrowding and a need to get more things done in a shorter period of time, this is nothing short of incredible. I think we pride ourselves on how productive we are, the gradual increase in economic productivity shows that.

When the whole modern world comes to a standstill, you know that it is serious. I am all too aware that my increased anxiety is not individual, I would expect nearly every person to struggle mentally when stuck at home for what could be upwards of 6 months. There is the profound impact it may have on people's jobs and subsequent livelihoods, the mark it leaves on people's education and chances to create new starts, and of course the lasting impression it may have for those at risk of death, and for their loved ones.

It is a sobering thought, but we are not as powerful as we think. For all the economic strength we might have, the political stability we might have, the social security, you name it, we are not as strong as nature. It is hard to think that, given the way we have colonised this planet, we are small pawns with very limited power in creating anything.

Our whole social, economic and political system could be blown apart by one virus. Leaders might die, the stock markets may crash, people will lose jobs - all of which in turn, weaken social bonds amongst all. It may take generations to fully recover from this, depending on the severity of the virus.

The world will be in complete shutdown. As much as I have pointed at human nature as the root of many far-reaching problems in the world - we are absolutely powerless and not at fault for this. It is transcending.

My heart goes out to those at higher risk of this horrific virus, my heart goes out to the workers, nurses and experts who are battling away to try and mitigate the severity of this whilst many are in self-isolation. But in reality, I feel for every single human who will have to endure months of isolation in the company of only a few people.

I love my family, don't get me wrong, but months in the house with only them for company? I can't think of much that scares me more, in a mental sense. It is crazy, but then we are effectively experiencing what a 16th century British farmer would have done. Knowing just a few people for their whole lives, remaining in one place doing the same thing, day in day out. Perhaps I should take comfort in that when I try to find rewarding things to do during a period of isolation.

Every time this train goes past buildings, I realise the magnitude of the change we are going to experience in the next few months. 90% of these will be shut down, if they are not already. Physical life is likely going to be halted without much warning.

Social media, which I have been really critical of in the past, is now absolutely vital in keeping the spirits of people up whilst the coronavirus devastates the world. We have the mechanisms to communicate electronically, through voice, message or pictures. I think it may turn out to be the saving grace of 2020, and perhaps the most important technological invention of our generation.

It is perhaps, mentally, young adults and most of my audience, who are most at danger of falling into a repetitive hole of boredom and hopelessness. At an age where there is so much change and uncertainty, we are often more insecure and unsure of our place in the world. We are the ones with more knowledge of social media and its uses, and we must use that to help each other get through this.

I'm not sure how to end this. It is going to be tough, there will be periods of angst and I know people are going to struggle, especially with family and friends who may be vulnerable as a result. I mentioned before that the trigger of Brexit and leaving the EU might be one of the most significant moments of my life.

It pales in comparison now. These next few months, they will serve a stark reminder as to the intricacies of the world - and the limits of humans. They will be hard to forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As Western governments wilfully ignore events in Palestine, they have lost the trust of their own people - and crucially, the Global South

It does not take a genius to spot the obvious contradictions in geopolitical narratives of Western governments and media evident over the past few decades. The US' post-9/11 botched "war on terror", that created a generation of instability in the Middle East, has served as the driver for European countries to lament the subsequent influx of migrants and legitimise the xenophobic desires of far-right parties. More recently, the same states have rightfully isolated Russia for their invasion of Ukraine - despite the similarity to their atrocities after 2001. Yet in the past three months, they have managed to brazenly exhibit their hypocrisy to an extent that I, and evidently many others, find astounding. And any long-time readers will know I've been more than happy to highlight duplicity of Western countries on this blog, so that should tell you something about how bizarre recent events feel. Source: UNRWA, via The Wire In response to the militant group Hamas' terror

We must better consider all the people caught up in modern-day warfare

In some ways, this blog comes full circle to the very second post I wrote on  here circa six years ago .  That time, in the aftermath of the 2017 Las Vegas shooting, the blog focused on how names and stories appeal to our emotion more than facts and figures. Boy can I see the difference in writing style - 17 year old Kabir bizarrely quoted Stalin in making the point.  What I grappled with, and have done for a while since, is the unnatural and paradoxically natural emotional response to scales of tragedy. Hundreds of thousands dying is harder to comprehend than ten that are accompanied by names and faces. Yet more people dying is obviously worse globally. Ironically, I forgot the shooting’s details, which in itself encapsulates the point.  These limits of human empathy are (at least to me) fascinating, but they pose some problems in the globalised, interconnected world we now live in. In a world where our media consumption plays such a key role in how we perceive and interpret l

Light at the End of the Tunnel

It is never a bad thing to ask for help, contrary to what the mind, or even society, might say. Unfortunately for me, whilst sat there in floods of tears at my kitchen table, the whole tissue box I had emptied littered on the floor, I didn’t realise it. It was a Wednesday evening in late January, I had just gone through a day of school feeling perfectly content – bar the worries many teenagers find themselves under. I recall feeling focused in the three lessons I had that day, and playing football in the afternoon, I imagined, would only help my mood. After all, they do say exercise helps balance the chemicals in your brain. But I got home, sat down and genuinely considered suicide. What possibly is there left here for me? How is it ever going to feel like life is worth living? The weeks of building anxiety and depression had taken their toll. School stress, A-levels closing in. Social stress (ever-increasing in an age where social media has become habitual). Coupled with en